We all have a few things in our lives that we’re so attached to that they’re basically married to us. As my previous blog posts thus far have been on rather heavy topics, I decided to take a more casual, personal, get-to-know-me route with this one. No doubt, God, my friends, and my family are most important, and of course, the life necessities, but as far as materialistic things go, here’s 10 that I absolutely cannot live without, such that they’ve basically become a part of me!
- Vaseline – If you know me well, then you know that I can’t live without Vaseline. Everybody who suffers from chapped lips or dry skin understands this. Though I have to say, my addiction to Vaseline is so extreme that I absolutely can’t fall asleep or go on with my day if my lips or my hands are dry. I will literally walk across the room, in the middle of the night, just to get Vaseline. God knows I definitely cannot live without this one.
- My Prescription Glasses – My eyesight is so bad that I can’t see anything on my laptop screen right in front of me with my naked eyes. I need my glasses. ‘Nuff said.
- My Watch – I didn’t realize this until just the other day. My watch’s battery died just two weeks before spring break, and so I decided to wait until break so that I could get it replaced at home. Funny enough, I wore the non-functioning watch all through the two weeks, and still checked time on it, even though I knew it wasn’t working at that moment. It’s become such a part of me that I wear it even when I know that I’ll be home all day.
- My Kenyan Bead Bracelet – My aunt made this one for me, and specialized it by beading in my name. I’ve never taken it off and this bracelet has been on my hand through everything that you can imagine. I don’t even think it can come off anymore. Fun Fact: I can 95% assure you that every Kenyan you meet, mostly abroad, has a similar one. I actually made a friend in the US, in a different boarding school, solely because of the fact that we both had this bracelet. (I could technically live without this one, but I decided to include it, given as to how it’s basically become a part of me).
- My Skin Care Products: African Black Soap and Natural Jojoba Oil – For a large part of my life, I suffered from acne, and I have really sensitive skin. I’ve also had eczema ever since I was a child, which can basically be triggered by anything. This makes me really self-conscious as a face is something that you can’t hide, but these products just work for me in a way that none have before.
- A Bag of Some Sort – This one is really funny because there’ve been times when my sister has teased me for walking out with a bag that, no lie, had only one thing. What’s in the bag? Sometimes nothing. Sometimes just Vaseline. Other times I actually do have stuff in it. I don’t know why, but I just feel under-dressed without a bag.
- Music – Nothing more to say than that music is therapy for the soul.
- A Book – Growing up, I read a lot of books to the extent of sometimes reading a whole novel in a single day. Because of this, it’s become a part of me and I’m always down for a good book. I’m currently reading Love, Hate, and other Filters by Samira Ahmed. It’s amazing. Check it out if you love reading.
- My Planner – I mentioned this in a previous blog, but this school year, I started keeping a planner as my schedule got so much more hectic and busier. I’ve noticed that I’ve been more on top of deadlines this way, but I find myself noting the littlest things in my planner for fear that I’ll forget if not so, for example, “call mom”. At this rate, my life would fall into a frenzy without one.
- Some Sort of Device with the Internet – I’m not addicted to my phone or anything like that, but these days one just can’t do anything without the Internet. As I go to school miles away from home, I do need to constantly keep in touch with my friends and family. I need it to do my school work. I need it for Netflix. I need it to write my blogs. You name it. Let’s not deny, in today’s world, we all need the Internet in one way or another.
So these are 10 things I can’t live without in no particular order. What is one thing you can’t live without? Let me know!
I hope that you all learnt something about me, and in return, I would love to learn something about you all. Be sure to check out my other blogs too and click here to reach out to me about anything and everything. See you in two weeks!
– Dashushka ♥